Return to Manchester City     Home Page

Cameron breaks Wolves duck after another Seaman error

Dan Rookwood at Molineux for Get Your Kits Out
Sunday October 5, 2003

At long last. After enduring a wretched run of seven games that had brought them just two points, Wolverhampton Wanderers won their first match of the season. And how they deserved it.

They started much the brighter, thanks to the return from injury of all their strikers. Nathan Blake, ploughing a rather solitary furrow up front in an experimental formation with the support of Henri Camara and Kenny Miller just behind, came within a layer of dubbin from giving the home side a fourth-minute lead after Colin Cameron's cross.

Had Cameron any more hair on his thinning pate, he might have broken the deadlock himself, but he was just unable to get his head to a searching Camara delivery after 24 minutes.

In between times, Camara, turning on the penalty spot, blazed a shot wastefully into the upper reaches of the Jack Harris Stand.

City, the supposedly more in-form outfit, were comparatively quiet. Paul Bosvelt, facing Wolves' Denis Irwin for the first time since he almost ended the Irishman's career in 1997 during a Champions' League game between Manchester United and Feyenoord, was all but anonymous alongside Claudio Reyna in midfield.

Alex Rae and Paul Ince, their pride pricked by uncharitable words from scathing commentators, cut off the supply to City's front two. Nicolas Anelka's interest in the game was sporadic, but when so inclined, he caused problems. Fortunately for Wolves, Paul Butler was on hand to charge down the Frenchman's best effort.

The second half began in much the same vein. But try as they might, Wolves could not turn the possession points into prizes. Ince pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the area and did well to keep the ball down. Rae's follow-up shot was well smothered by Seaman.

The closer they got, the more exasperated they became, and they began to lose their composure. City subsequently came back into it. First Antoine Sibierski let rip with a fizzing effort out on the left from 35 yards which flashed past Michael Oakes' left post. Then Shaun Wright-Phillips set off on a mazy run, but he rather ran out of steam and his low drive was easily dealt with.

Buoyed by the rousing home support, Wolves rallied back and eventually got the goal their first-half performance merited.

David Seaman has had a torrid season so far and in the 75th minute he made another error. The 40-year-old spilled an unthreatening cross from Camara, who was then given a second chance to pump the ball into the box. When he did so, Cameron rose to nod home into the bottom right corner.

Wolves almost gave it away late on, just as they had done against Bolton last week. But luck was on their side and not Paulo Wanchope's. The Costa Rican's snap shot cannoned off the foot of the post and to safety.

There was more heart-in-mouth stuff in the final minute when Sun Jihai (pictured above) powered in a header, but Oakes parried it off the line and Wolves survived. Whether they will come season's end remains to be seen.

Return to Manchester City    Home Page