Man City 0-1 Chelsea                  Return to Main Page
Manchester City's Jon Macken (left) holds off Geremi
28-02-04 Gary Kelly for Get Your Kits Out at the City of Manchester Stadium

Chelsea smash and grab on unlucky City.

Jon Macken backheeled narrowly wide from six yards as Man City started impressively, but Chelsea created three good chances close to half-time.

Frank Lampard headed wide, while David James saved from the midfielder and held Hernan Crespo's near-post effort.

Robbie Fowler missed a spate of chances after the break, Richard Dunne shaved the crossbar and Antoine Sibierski shot wide before Gudjohnsen nicked it.


The results means Chelsea move above Manchester United in the Premiership table after Sir Alex Ferguson's team drew at Fulham.

But the frustration continues for City boss Kevin Keegan

City were hoping to build on last week's win over Bolton, their first victory in the Premiership since 1 November.

And the home team played superbly for most of the match, but paid the price for failing to convert any of their numerous chances.

City started well, while Chelsea struggled to find any rhythm.

Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink deflected a free-kick from Michael Tarnet out for a corner in the opening minutes, while John Terry made a crucial interception to prevent Macken's cross reaching Fowler.

Macken brilliantly backheeled Shaun Wright-Phillips' near-post cross inches wide of Carlo Cudicini's right-hand post as Chelsea struggled to get into the game.

But while Chelsea were outplayed, Claudio Ranieri's team created several good chances in the final 10 minutes of the first half.

James almost gifted Lampard a goal, smashing a clearance straight at him, but the midfielder shot wide from 25 yards.

Lampard then headed wide from Gallas' free-kick and before James twice denied the visitors.

The England goalkeeper first tipped over Lampard's astute chip, then denied Crespo's flying header at the near post.

Crespo then threatened with a near-post header forced James into an excellent save.

18 mins: Macken just misses from six yards
45 mins: James saves Crespo's header
46 mins: Fowler shoots wide
54 mins: Dunne's header shaves the crossbar
82 mins: Gudjohnsen lobs James
City started the second half brilliantly and Fowler went close three times in as many minutes.

The striker should have scored after a superb pass from Wright-Phillips but dragged his shot wide.

He then went close with a lob after Scott Parker lost possession before heading Tarnat's cross just wide.

Sibierski narrowly missed from short range before Dunne grazed the post with a header.

Ranieri, unhappy with his team's performance after the break, replaced Geremi and Hasselbaink with Robert Huth and Eidur Gudjohnsen.

But City were the team that continued to create.

Daniel van Buyten forced Cudicini into action, before finding acres of space in the Chelsea area only to head wide.

But with time running out Chelsea scored completely against the run of play.

City's offside trap proved woefully inept and substitute Gudjohnsen superbly beat James from the edge of the area.


Man City: James, Dunne, Distin, Van Buyten, Tarnat, Wright-Phillips, Reyna, Sibierski, McManaman, Macken (Sinclair 72), Fowler.
Subs Not Used: Arason, Barton, Bosvelt, Jihai.

Chelsea: Cudicini, Johnson, Terry, Gallas, Bridge, Geremi (Huth 71), Lampard, Parker, Cole (Makelele 45), Crespo, Hasselbaink (Gudjohnsen 65).
Subs Not Used: Sullivan, Duff.

Booked: Gallas.

Attendance: 47,304

Referee: R Styles (Hampshire).                                                                                      Return to Main Page